Tuesday, August 01, 2006

El Hajj Malik el Shabazz (Malcolm X), Race & Politics

by: shanikka
May 21, 2006 at 17:14:36 America/Los_Angeles
("Given its length, I'm probably asking for a beating putting this on the front page. But believe it or not, it's only 1/2 as long as it was before spending all day today cutting it down. I know - I am too mouthy." –shanikka re - promoted by eugene)(This tome is also subtitled "Shanikka's Sort-Of Response to Armando's Call to Discuss Racism)."I want to talk about El Hajj Malik el Shabazz. Friday was his birthday. He would have been 81 years old, had he not died 41 years ago. I wrote some of what follows as a passing comment on My Left Wing on Friday. Someone said that it should really be made a diary. The result herein is an apt example of "be careful of what you ask for, because you may get it", given its length. But my apologies, as usual, for that fact. Chalk it up to this being only the 2nd diary I've written in a month. On the other hand, this is bad even for me - I've had to cut out in the interests of mercy on the reader, much of what I have written. So think of this, I guess, as the first part of a series. A series that, hopefully, will further a conversation about race, mainstream politics, and the role of African-Americans in each from a different perspective than has been discussed in most leftist political blogs before.Anyhow, let's start with what may some day be called "Part I."

The man who died El Hajj Malik al Shabazz on February 21, 1965, who was born Malcolm Little on May 19, 1925, and who was best known to the world as Malcolm X, was a man greatly misunderstood both during his lifetime and beyond.

This is my favorite picture of him, and Dr. King - and probably the most representative of how I feel about all the things each man fought for and what their efforts meant to each other, and to Black people:

There's More…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home